M.Sc Degree Course in Microbiology
ABOUT THE COURSE
The field of Microbiology covers many others such as Bacteriology, Virology, Mycology and Parasitology and medical microbiologists identify the agents of infectious diseases & devise ways to combat them. Those who complete a Ph.D. and/or Post-Doctoral studies after getting scholarships through GRE or TOEFL may find microbiology jobs at foreign universities or Research and Development (R&D) wings of major pharmaceutical companies. Research opportunities in urban disease control, formulation research, clinical research, analytical development and new drug development are exploding too, with major companies investing in R&D. One can always teach, though it’s advantageous to have a doctorate for such a path. Self-employed microbiologists can set up their own laboratories.
CAREER SCOPE :
- “Job outlook for Microbiologist is positive.”
- At present, the scientific, analytical and problem-solving skills developed by microbiology graduates are high in demand by employers.
- There are various options available to you after studying for a Microbiology degree.
- You can choose to stay in education & do a master degree or Ph.D. in microbiology. Whether you can decide to enter the job market after graduation degree.
- You can work in both governments as well as in private sectors. Microbiologists are mostly demanded in the UK, US, France, Australia, and Germany.
- With a degree in microbiology, you can get opportunities in various fields like healthcare organizations, forensic science laboratories, environmental organizations, higher education institutions, food and drink, publicly funded research organizations, pharmaceuticals and many other industries.
- In the medicine and healthcare field, your work is usually associated with prevention & treatment of illnesses linked with microbes.
- Various universities & Institutions employ microbiologists as teachers & researchers.
MSc : Microbiology Syllabus
Semester 1 to 4
|Semester||Theory||Practical||Name of paper||"Contact Hours I week (Credit)
L- T- P (Credit)"
|Semester 1||MScMc 101||"Diversity of the microbial world and essentials of microbial physiology and biochemistry"||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 102||Instrumentation and Biophysics||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 103||Molecular Biology and Genetics||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 104||Introductory mathematics and Biostatistics||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 191||Biochemistry and Analytical Techniques||0-0-8 (4)|
|MScMc 192||Microbiology||0-0-8 (4)|
|MScMc 193||Molecular Biology||0-0-8 (4)|
|Semester 2||MScMc 201||rDNA Tedmology & IPR||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 202||Immunology||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 203||Agricultural Microbiology||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 204||Microbial Bioinformatics||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 291||Immunology||0-0-8 (4)|
|MScMc 292||Soil and Agriculture Microbiology||0-0-8 (4)|
|MScMc 293||Bioinformatics||0-0-8 (4)|
|Semester 3||MScMc 301||Medical Technology||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 302||Fermentation Technology||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 303||Industrial Microbiology||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 304||Food Microbiology||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 391||Bioreactor operations||0-0-8 (4)|
|MScMc 392||Food and Environmental Microbiology||0-0-8 (4)|
|MScMc 381||Summer Internship||(2+2)|
|MScMc 382||"Seminar leading to project/ Project Proposal Presentation"||(2)|
|Semester 4||MScMc 401||Environmental Microbiology||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 402 (Elective)||Advanced Industrial Microbiology||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 403 (Elective)||Phyllosphere Microbiology||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 404 (Elective)||Advanced Food Microbiology||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 405 (Elective)||Advanced Microbial Recycling of water||3-0-0 (3)|
|MScMc 491||Grand Viva||(4)|